Michael is a Partner in our commercial and property team and specialises in transactional and advisory matters. He has particular expertise in property acquisitions and disposals, retail and commercial leasing, property development, building and construction matters, community and strata titles, business sales and acquisitions, finance and securities, and agribusiness.
As a recognised leader in his field, he is a trusted advisor to a wide variety of clients, including business owners, property developers, purchasers, vendors, landlords, tenants, builders, community corporations and private clients, across a range of sectors including agricultural, commercial, industrial, financial services, construction, hospitality, energy and resources.
He works closely with his clients to help achieve their commercial objectives and is valued for his timely, commercial and pragmatic advice.
Michael’s notable recent experience includes:
- Office building: Acting for the vendor in the sale of a major CBD office building.
- Property developer: Acting for a developer in a mixed use residential and commercial development involving townhouses, apartments and commercial offices.
- Industrial warehouse: Advising a major commercial builder in the documentation and negotiation of a construction contract for an industrial warehouse facility.
- Commercial leasing: Acting for a wide range of commercial and industrial property owners in the leasing of their property portfolios across South Australia.
- Childcare centre: Acting for a developer in the documentation and negotiation of an agreement for lease and associated lease for a childcare centre in Adelaide.
- Renewable energy: Advising a large number of agricultural landowners in wind, solar and battery projects across South Australia.
- Agricultural properties: Acting for an interstate law firm in the sale of over 30 agricultural properties in regional South Australia.
In addition to his practice, Michael is an active member of the Property Council of Australia, the Urban Development Institute of Australia, the Property Committee of the Law Society of South Australia, and the Professional Development and Event Committee of the Australian Institute of Conveyancers South Australia. He previously sat on the Urban Development Institute of Australia’s Developer Finance, Tax and Regulation Committee from 2021 to 2023. He regularly presents seminars to clients, professional services firms and industry groups on a range of topics in property law.
In 2023, he was recognised by Doyle's Guide as a Rising Star in Commercial Law in South Australia.
- Featured in the Adelaide Advertiser as an Emerging Leader of South Australian Civil Law - August 2023
Memberships & Affiliations
- 2023 Urban Renewal and Liveability Committee, Urban Development Institute of Australia (SA Division)
- Member, Law Society of South Australia
- Member, Property Committee, Law Society of South Australia
- Member, Urban Development Institute of Australia (SA Division)
- Property Council of Australia
- Member, Australian Institute of Conveyancers Professional Development and Event Committee
- Member, Golden Key International Honour Society
- Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice (Honours)
- Master of Laws